Monday, March 28, 2011

Try-It Colour Sheets

I saw samples of Try-It Colour sheets from Daniel Smith watercolours over the weekend and thought of making some using acetate and Twinkling H2Os and Cosmic Shimmer watercolour paints. I also thought it would be a good idea to scribble colours using different brands of watercolour pencils on a sheet and start offering them as Try-it colour sheets. With these sheets, you can try various brands of watercolour mediums before buying the full set of materials. I had to wait for the Twinkling H2Os and Cosmic Shimmer paints to dry before I could see how well the paints adhere to the acetate surface. 


In the meantime, I tested two different samples using a water-soluble crayon and a set of Swiss Colors watercolour pencils. I wanted to get an estimate on the amount of paint I actually get from a sheet of scribbled on colours. I decided to use identical stamp images on an A4 sheet of paper and see how many of the stamp images I could colour using the the Try-it colour sheets.


This is the look of the two sheets I started with:

  

The tags were cut using a sizzix die as I thought I ought to have a standard sized sheet if I am to offer them for sale. I am not sure how to report the actual size of the tags so I placed it on a sheet of A4 paper with the stamped images for comparison.

With a waterbrush, I proceeded to colour the stamped flower images. This is the result I got for the two different sets of colours.




For the watercolour crayons, it was actually a set of 30 but I decided to choose 8 colours to try as the tag was not very large. With the watercolour pencils, there are no names of colours or numbers and so I decided to place all the colours tight together on one face of the tag. With the watercolour crayons, I was able to colour a total of 11 images while I was able to colour 16 images with the watercolour pencils. 


I would say this is quite a successful experiment and goes to show that the amount of colouring material on the tag is quite substantial for a trial and should allow for a fairly good test of the colours.


What do you think of this idea of mine? I shall do a similar test using the Twinkling H2Os and Cosmic Shimmer paints once they are dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment